Eyeshadow Swatch Project: Reds
Posted on at • 0 Comments • 398 views
On December 30th, I was sounding off that I needed to get back to work because I was creating too many blog projects for myself...and CydonianMU (she did purples) said that I could join her, KimmieKarmaLove (she did blues), jadecarver (she did blacks/greys), RobynHeartsSlap (she did greens), and Raerae (she did reds and oranges) in an eyeshadow swatching collaboration. ("Oh, I'm not helping, am I?" LOL) The general plan was that to start off, each person would pick a color and would make a list of their 10/15/20 favorite shades of that color...and then swatch them all. Since I was planning to do this for my entire collection anyway, this seemed a good way to get started! I've already begun adding the montages to some of my colors - several older, and some of the newer ones that I bought this winter but hadn't catalogued yet. I started with yellows and golds...and then just continued slowly swatching my way through my collection.
Going through my own collection, I've done:
- My favorite yellows and golds
- My favorite reds
- My favorite oranges
- My favorite greens
- My favorite blues
- My favorite purples
- My favorite blacks/greys/whites
- My favorite browns
My favorite red/pink eyeshadow colors, alphabetically by manufacturer and then by color name, are:
- Aromaleigh v1's Candytuft — I passed on this color when it was first released because I had way too many pinks...but when I saw some others using it in looks, I noticed the blue flash. There are some similarities between this color and Pillow Talk, but Candytuft has more of a mauve-pink base.
- Aromaleigh v1's Cosette — I like using this color when I want red eyeshadow, but not so dark or overpowering as Vampira, Here Kitty, or Beautiful Lisa...but I want something that's actually red, not something that's pink or mauve.
- Aromaleigh v1's Heels On Fire — mauve pink matte. I love well-made matte eyeshadows...and Aromaleigh created amazing mattes. Heels On Fire's cool pink sets off my eyecolor really well. (I'm fortunate in that both reds and oranges look good - though, oddly enough, I don't like how red-oranges or orange-reds look quite as much.)
- Aromaleigh v1's Iwantcandy — gorgeous hot coral-pink with lots of sparkle! In theory it's one of the "UV reactive" shadows, but I've never checked that out - just enjoyed the bright pink.
- Bare Escentuals' Beautiful Lisa — This was one of my first purchases from a BE boutique. Pairs very well with Here Kitty (just a bit further down on this list) - the combo initially can seem off-putting, but try it! I've gotten two other BE addicts to give this one a shot (one brown-eyed, one other blue-eyed) and they both loved the results.
- Bare Escentuals' Blush — another one of those colors that I initially dismissed as "just another pink, not interesting, move along...." there's actually some shimmer with this one, and a bit of pigmentation. It's definitely a near-neutral pink on me, but I've paired it with BE's Dragonfly for a really unexpected, pretty look with an edge.
- Bare Escentuals' Here Kitty — I got this color because I was on the Quest for the Perfect Burgundy Eyeshadow. It's a good burgundy, not too dark, but not sheer. It works well with Beautiful Lisa.
- Make Up For Ever's Star Powder 916 — This is another one of the MUFE mica-like colors I grabbed because of the duochrome appearance - the shift between pink and gold. This is more like a pink base with a gold shimmer, than a true duochrome...but I still like it quite a bit. TKB Trading's Sparkle Rose is highly similar, though, and costs a heck of a lot less. (Obviously I discovered TKB Trading after I'd purchased this and several other of the duochrome-highlighters from MUFE. Doesn't mean they're still not gorgeous, though!)
- Meow Cosmetics' Bromeliad — based on the manufacturer's description I had been hoping for more of an actual colorshifting duochrome, instead of a duotone. Still, this is a lovely bright coral pink with a faint golden sheen that looks great with my coloring and doesn't quite match anything else I have in my collection.
- Morgana Cryptoria's Zaria — one of my absolute favorite Morgana colors - the perfect bubblegum pink, with faint silver sparkle.
- Pure Luxe's Faceted — applied dry, it's a soft mauved pink with hints of red and pink iridescence. Foiled, you get the full duochrome colorshift. (Which I actually captured on camera for the swatch photos!! I'm so proud of myself.)
- Shiro Cosmetics Clefairy — All of Shiro's colors are well pigmented and adhere well, so while this is a mauved pink, it doesn't disappear on my lids. Clefairy is the cool version of Vileplume (or Vileplume is the warm version of Clefairy, whichever.)
- The SheSpace's Ethereal Winds — all of The SheSpace's pearls have a really lovely, bright, lustrous finish that's right on the borderline between "pearl" and "shimmer" - it's just so smooth, that it's easier for me to class these as pearls. Ethereal Winds is another borderline-tan pink.
- The SheSpace's Lucifer's Chariot — lots of folks thought that this might be the color in the eye-look used as the "greeting image" on the TSS website...but no, that was just a picture she liked and used.
- The SheSpace's Miss Defiant — Similar magenta to Beautiful Lisa, but a bit brighter and with a satin finish rather than pearl. I paired this up with Pure Luxe's Miss Understood, just for the name similarities - but those two colors do look nice when used together.
- The SheSpace's Pomegranite Promises — a soft pale pink, similar to Blush but with no shimmer. This is one of my favorite colors from the Cocktails and Glitz collection, as well as being one of my favorite reds.
- The SheSpace's Secret Wishes — This was almost an immediate favorite of mine from the Cinderella collection, even though it was "another pink". It's one of those soft pinks that everyone should have in their collection! Not quite violet, not quite pink, just a little tiny bit muted, pink-neutral enough to be wearable by just about everyone, different enough to not be "just another pink."
- The SheSpace's Storybook Love — right on the border between "brown" and "pink" (kind of like Angelique and Define Beauty) with a nice pearl finish. I think this was among the first colors I bought from TSS - definitely within the first three orders.
Yes, Virginia, there are a few duochromes in this list. Huzzah for another level for my Duochrome Fetishist Merit Badge!! There aren't as many duochromes - I think that's just because while I have a lot of reds, not many of them are duochromes. (Though some colors that are duotones - like Aromaleigh v1's Ophelia and TKB Trading's Rose Gold - didn't make the favorites list.)