Meow Cosmetics’ Castaway collection
- Vendor: Meow Cosmetics
- Availability: beginning June 2012 (and subsequent summers) from the company's webstore
- Contains: 12 eyeshadows
- Cost/Amount: eheshadows: $8 for 1.6 grams; $1 for a sample baggie
- Would you purchase again: yes
When this collection first came out, I was mildly interested in the colors - they reminded me of Aromaleigh v1’s Carolina Summer collection, in that these were mostly softer or greyed shades. Then I got my first set of samples, and promptly started ordering full sizes. These shades are indeed “seaside” colors, the hues look sun-faded and weathered, similar to some of the old Carolina Summer shades…but instead of a matte finish, the Castaway collection shadows are semi-metallic. When applied dry, they have less of a metallic finish and more of a crushed-plush or brushed-metallic appearance. When foiled, the metallic nature comes through!
A few of these colors can leave behind the slight black sooty residue that some metallic shades have - regardless of what vendor they come from. I’m not sure, but I’m fairly confident in guessing that this is just a property of many metallic pigments in general. The same thing was seen on most of the Elemental Lusters, many shades from the Egyptian Treasures collection, and from other indie and mainstream vendors I’ve purchased from.
This collection includes:
- Bahia Solano — cool bright gold shimmer
- Bora Bora — muted light olive shimmer
- Cinnamon Bay — medium browned-plum shimmer
- Flamenco — soft coral-orange shimmer
- Hanalei Bay — soft greyed blue-lavender shimmer
- Paradise Island — brightened old-gold shimmer
- Sun Island — faded orange-gold shimmer
- Siesta Key — medium brown-gold shimmer
- Treasure Beach — medium-light green-gold shimmer
- Turtle Bay — softened green-gold shimmer
- Whitehaven — lightly-tarnished silver shimmer
- Zushi — faded-denim blue shimmer
My favorites from this collection are Turtle Bay, Flamenco, and Hanalei Bay. I think that I'm going to opt out of Siesta Key and Whitehaven - at least for this year :) Siesta Key just doesn't look as good on me as it does on other people (like Phyrra, who rocks the golds and tarnished-golds like nobody's business); and while Whitehaven is an attractive dove-grey quasi-metallic for which I don't really have a close dupe in my collection...I had to draw the line somewhere.