Entries for Tuesday November 15
Stila’s One Step PrimeColor in Per Suede
- Manufacturer: Stila
- Availability: Stila web store and channel partners
- Color Range: sheer medium brown creme
- Staying Power: 3 out of 4
- Cost/Amount: USD$10 for .33 ounces
- Would you purchase again: no
According to Stila, this is supposed to work as an eyeshadow primer, a foundation primer, a lip color, a cheek color, a floor wax, and a dessert topping.
Okay, those last two weren’t in the ad copy. But everything else was. Seriously - this is marketed as the uber-versatile use-it-everywhere Go-To Product Thingummy. I got this as a free gift-with-purchase from Ulta, when I was shopping in Atlanta. I don’t know that I would have picked it out myself, just because it’s marketed so broadly I wouldn’t have necessarily known what to do with it. The color is also…a little bit not right for me. I might be able to use this as a contouring shade on my face - it sheers down enough that it won’t be uber-noticeable or harsh-edged, but there’s just enough color to create the barest hint of contouring.
There are other shades of this product, and it’s not super expensive (actually, it’s currently in Stila’s fire-sale / being-discontinued section), so in theory I could go back and buy a shade that’s more suitable to me. I don’t know that I’m going to bother, though. I have foundation and eyeshadow primers. Some of the shades look like they might make half-decent lip and cheek colors, though…so I’m undecided.
BareMinerals’ Pretty Amazing Lip Gloss in Oomph
- Manufacturer: bareMinerals/Bare Escentuals
- Availability: part of the Pretty Amazing Lip Color collection
- Color Range: sheer pink sheen
- Staying Power: 2 out of 4
- Cost/Amount: USD$16 for .13 ounces
- Would you purchase again: yes
Maybe it’s just me, but this seems like a gigantic case of NameFail. The color called “oomph” is utterly bereft of same. It’s a supersheer light pink sheen that barely has any color payoff even when applied heavily. Why they didn’t use this name for…well, a color that actually shows up, is beyond me.
This was one of the two new coverage-shades released in the 2011 Holiday Pretty Amazing Lip Collection kit. The other was Sass. Both of these colors are very sheer, and there’s no color payoff unless you leave them applied very heavily.
Tarte’s Lipsurgence in Glisten
- Manufacturer: Tarte Cosmetics
- Availability: part of the Lipsurgence collection
- Color Range: semisheer golden peach shimmer
- Staying Power: 3 out of 4
- Cost/Amount: USD$24 for 2.6 ml / .08 fl oz each
- Would you purchase again: yes...if it was part of a value set, or if I had a significant discount
I got this one partially to “try out” this finish, but also to see what this color would look like. The matte version of this - Exposed - does stay put better and has better color payoff, but it isn’t the best color on me. Glisten can actually work over darker berry lipstains to tone them down just a tiny bit. I can almost use this the same way I use Joy buxom - to make darker lipstains a little bit more usable.